In one of those disturbing: "I fixed it, but I don't know how I fixed it" moments, I've somehow solved the problem with my queries to the Postgresql database timing out. I can't tell you how I did it, cause I don't know, but what I do know is that it works for right now. We'll see if the problem returns.
With that, I've added pagination to the blog, provided a sign-up mailing list via MailChimp, and I am ready to take on donations.
I'm going to start with a soft-launch with my friends and family first. If anything happens to the payment processor, for example, or there's some bug, I want them to find it first before I start with the social media promotion.
This is scary. But it's complete.